Penn State Health Medication Reconciliation Tech (Pharmacy Technician or LPN) - Pharmacy in Reading, Pennsylvania
Penn State Health St. Joseph Regional Health Network
Work Type: Full Time
As an integral member of the pharmacy team and under the supervision of a pharmacist is responsible for working with newly admitted patients in the emergency department to obtain and document an accurate medication list to help avoid medication duplications, omissions, and errors. The information obtained will be entered into the pharmacy information system and printed to be used by physicians and other health care providers. They wil use this to determine medication orders during the hospital admission and upon discharge from the hospital. Knowledge of pharmaceutical terminology, metric systems, and computer systems is necessary, in addition to excellent customer service skills and the ability to effectively work and communicate with patients, staff, and outside providers. The medication reconciliation technician (Pharmacy Technician or LPN) may provide services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Performs duties under the direction of the pharmacist deployed to the Emergency Department.
- Obtains and clarifies patient's home medication list by utilizing drug infromation resources, contacting community pharmacies, contacting physician offices for prescription clarification, interviewing patient/family, and reviewing prescription bottles brought to the Emergency Department by the patient to ensure proper identification of doses and drugs including prescription medications, over the counter drugs and herbals/supplements.
- Interacts with and provides medication history and other related patient information to nurses, physicians, and pharmacists, and other medical professionals as appropriate.
- Serve as a liaison between pharmacy and nursing to foster medication reaching the patient in a required time frame.
- Responsible for resolving missing medications through the main pharmacy.
- Help faciliate transfer of medications for patients moving from the emergency department to a medical unit.
- Communicate to physicians and nursing professionally and courteously on medication related issues.
- Takes ownership of problems by reporting issues to appropriate hospital staff to achieve desired outcome. Involves pharmacy supervisory personnel when necessary to reach goal.
- Complies with St. Joseph Medical Center and pharmacy department's policies and procedures.
- Volunteer and assist as needed during staffing emergencies and other occurances that may create unusual staffing circumstances.
- Other technician duties as time permits.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of a Pharmacy Technician Certification Program or active Licensure in Practical Nursing (LPN) in the state of Pennsylvania required.
- 3-4 years of medication history or pharmacy experience preferred, including hospital and community experience
- Current Pharmacy Technician certification or Current Pennsylvania licensure in Practical Nursing (LPN).
This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.