Penn State Health Lab Assistant - Laboratory in Reading, Pennsylvania
Penn State Health St. Joseph Regional Health Network
Work Type: Full Time
This job is responsible for collecting appropriate samples for testing, to include (Phlebotomy procedures, venous and capillary punctures, and urine collections for medical and legal testing procedures). Work also includes: 1) computer inquiry and entry to maintain patient demographic as well as test ordering details in multiple computer systems in accordance with compliance guidelines; 2) processing and preparing samples for testing at facility laboratories; and 3) processing, preparing and packaging samples for delivery to reference labs. Work is conducted in accordance with all regulatory accreditation agency requirements.
- Performs venipuncture and capillary procedures on pediatric and adult inpatient and outpatient populations using appropriate safety devices or tool appropriate for the situation.
- Completes manually or by computer system, orders for esoteric testing referred outside the laboratory, which may include test research, documentation, special transportation measures, sample preparation, packing, etc.
- Uses hospital and laboratory information system programs, to include (in the pre-analytic phase) sample labeling, log-in, test cancellation, test modification, test add-on, etc, and in the post-analytic phase, final sample disposition into the sample inventory system/storage.
- Processes and prepares samples for testing to include: labeling, centrifugation, aliquoting, preserving and dispatching for testing following specific guidelines for each step.
- Performs telecommunication activities to include: reporting laboratory results, taking verbal orders, transferring calls, describing specimen collection protocols, esoteric test research, troubleshooting issues, dispatching phlebotomist for collections, etc; completes follow-up protocol for any ambiguous orders or issues so that concerns come to resolution and audit trail is maintained.
- Monitors supply stock and requests additional supplies from appropriate resource so that necessary tools are available to provide services.
- Performs special procedures that may include: Bleeding times, Glucose tolerance or administration, blood cultures, legal drug screen urine collections, breath alcohol testing and dorsal hand vein neonatal collections.
- Follows and keeps abreast of hospital and laboratory policies and procedures.
- Available for weekend and holiday rotations.
- Available for on call responsibilities.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Completion of a phlebotomy course at a Vocational College or equivalent technical school, including completion of a 4-week internship in Phlebotomy in a clinical laboratory setting OR for applicants having received on-the-job training in lieu of completion of a phlebotomy course, one year of work experience as a clinical laboratory phlebotomist preferred
- Work experience in phlebotomy within the last five years preferred.
- Phlebotomy Registry PBT (ASCP) or NCA is preferred.
- American Heart Association “BLS” Provider Certification or obtained within the first 3 months of employment required.
- A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License is Required
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Adheres to and exhibits our core values:
Reverence: Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
Integrity: Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
Compassion: Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
Excellence: Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality. + Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times + Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines + Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members + Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, residents, visitors, staff and the broader health care community
This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Friday, email email@example.com or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.