Penn State Health Cook I - Nutrition Services in Reading, Pennsylvania
Penn State Health St. Joseph Regional Health Network
Work Type: Full Time
Hours: 5:30 pm - 2:00 am
This job is responsible for preparing food products (ie. main entrees, soups and sauces) in an institutional setting utilizing basic and advanced cooking techniques, standardized recipes and plating guidelines. Work involves meeting production schedules in accordance with health, safety and sanitary standards, guidelines and regulatory requirements. An incumbent is accountable for the quality of food items prepared, ensuring proper utilization and storage of food and supplies, and for maintaining the orderliness and cleanliness of equipment, supplies and work areas.
Food handling activities are performed in accordance with external and internal guidelines and regulatory guidelines, and an employee works effectively to minimize waste during the flow of food while maintaining a quality end product.
- Prepares, cooks, carves, and portions out meat, main entrees, vegetables, starches, soups, and sauces.
- Maintains all hot and cold prepared food at proper temperatures.
- Plans cooking schedule.
- Selects and displays recipe cards.
- Reviews production sheet to determine type and amount of food to be prepared.
- Procures food items from refrigerator, freezer, or storage areas.
- Requisitions, or directs the procurement of, supplies as needed.
- Labels and dates all leftovers and/or refrigerated food.
- Follows department and government safety and sanitation standards
- High School Diploma or GED Required.
- Four years of progressively responsible related work experience in the fast-food, restaurant, hospitality or other culinary environment or venue,
- Or any combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the capability to meet the requirements of the position.
- Vocational training courses in large-quantity cooking is strongly preferred.
- Current Department of Health Food Handler’s permit preferred
- Valid Pennsylvania State Driver's License is required.
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, hospital values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times.
- Adheres to and exhibits Catholic Health Initiatives core values:
Reverence : Having a profound spirit of awe and respect for all creation, shaping relationships to self, to one another and to God and acknowledging that we hold in trust all that has been given to us.
Integrity : Moral wholeness, soundness, uprightness, honesty and sincerity as a basis of trustworthiness.
Compassion : Feeling with others, being one with others in their sorrows and joys, rooted in the sense of solidarity as members of the human community.
Excellence : Outstanding achievement, merit, virtue; continually surpassing standards to achieve/maintain quality. + Maintains confidentiality and protects sensitive data at all times. + Adheres to organizational and department specific safety standards and guidelines. + Works collaboratively and supports efforts of team members. + Demonstrates exceptional customer service and interacts effectively with physicians, patients, visitors, staff and the broader health care community.
This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.